Monday, February 18, 2008

First time holding Dane



He was one week old, still on the vent, and we were waiting for the results of his second brain scan. We had no idea that we were going to get to hold him that day, and I was so nervous when the nurse asked if we were going to hold him kangaroo style (skin on skin). The brought over a big recliner, got me all positioned...and made sure that I wasn't going to need to get up for the next 30-40 minutes. You see, it is so stressfull to move these fragile babies in and out of the their incubators. Once he was comfy and stable on my chest they didn't want to move him again for a while. It was crazy though, there were two nurses and a respitory therapist there to move him on my chest. One to pick him up, one to hold all his wires and tubes, and one to put warm towels on us...and that was the pattern for holding him for next two months. I remember longing for the day when I just go and pick him up with out a a slew of medical staff helping. I remember being so scared that his tubes were going to come out, I think that I spent the entire time watching his monitor than enjoying actually holding him. It was great though and another day that I will never forget.


We are on our way today to have another developemental evaluation done at PCH. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes...I am sure that he will continue to amaze them!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi Nicole,

I'm signed up to walk on team Great Dane. I just sent and email to all my family and friends.