Monday, October 29, 2007

The big evaluation!


Well today Dane had his first evaluation by the PCH physical and behavior therapist. I have to say that I was bit worried, I have read some stories that had me thinking they were going to point out everything that he is not doing and that the entire thing might just be a big downer. I am glad to say that it was a great experience, the lady was so nice and you can tell she really knew her stuff. Basically, she said that he is right on target for his adjusted age, he is one week behind in his gross motor skills...but a little bit ahead on everything else. She did notice right away that Dane has some muscle tightness in his hips and trunk, so we have homework in the way of some new exercises and positioning. Miss M, Dane's PT, was nice enough to be there for his appointment (thank you Miss M!!!) it was great to have her there, and we are eager to get working on his new homework! He was such a good boy too, he played well with her but, didn't flash her too many of those big Dane smiles! He was pleasant and attentive, and she used the phrase "bright eyed". She said that for a 26 weeker with grade IV bleed, he is doing amazingly well...she was overall very encouraging. We talked a little bit about the possibility of the diagnosis of cerebral palsy coming down the line, but she seemed to feel that he wasn't looking like he was heading in that direction, but we will know more at his next appt. (which will be in another 3 or 4 months) It was good for my soul to hear that today, the past week I have been a bit weepy. I did get scolded on the exersaucer...which I knew was coming. She said even 15 minutes a day was way too much for him. So, we will pack up the exersaucer...it was fun while it lasted!
SOOO many prayers have been said for Dane, God could have said "no" to our prayers...and we would have still praised Him, but He said "yes" and we give Him all the glory and praise!
Yes, we have hit a very big UP on our roller coaster ride! GO LITTLE D!!!
(I took this picture with our camcorder...sorry it's so grainy)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of Dane and of you!! Sounds like the appointment went really well...God definately blessed it! Keep up the great attitude, you are an example to us all! Love Ya!

Lindsay said...

How wonderful that you are being surrounded by therapists that you enjoy and that you feel they are on top of their game. I am so excited that he seemed pretty much equal to his adjusted age and even ahead! From what you have been posting it sure seemed to me like he was ahead of his adjusted age! I know every child is different and moves along at a different pace, but Dane has flown through some stuff! ;) I love hearing all of your stories, struggles and successes. You are such a loving mom!

Brandie said...

Go DANE GO!!

I am SO glad that your BIG day went so well.
:0)

Hugs and Kisses to all of YOU!